Monday, January 2, 2017

Top 6 Favourite Books from 2016 📚

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here and I know I'm slightly late on writing this post. But I wanted to list my top 6 favourite books I've read in 2016. I love them all in their own different ways and I highly recommend you guys read them if you haven't done so already. I could list all my faves onto this list, but then it would be a very, very long post. Anyways, this list is not in any particular order of my favourites (I love them all equally). But I still love all of them, hence why there on this list. Anyways, let's get into it. 


1. The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson. 
She is one of my auto-buy authors (which means I will buy every book that she releases), and I love every book that she writes and publishes.  I loved every aspect of this book. I loved the family, the romance and the friendships. It was nice how all of them were so active in this story and there was an equal amount of them. This book is about a girl whose farther is a congressmen and he ends up getting into a scandal that affects Andie's plans for the summer. Since, Andie has to do something for the summer, she ends up becoming a dog walker. In the process, she meets Clark (who is her romantic interest) and they develop a romance. Meanwhile, since her dad is not working in the summer, Andie and her farther end up developing a better relationship. And her friends play a huge role in Andie's non-planned summer. Anyways, I loved how this book teaches you that you shouldn't always plan out your life and that you should just go with flow. We shouldn't always live our lives according to plan and whatever happens, happens. I loved the relationship with Andie and her dad, plus I really enjoyed her relationship with Clark. The romance developed very realistically and it wasn't all insta-lovey (which is an added bonus as to why I enjoyed the overall novel).  *side note* I won an arc copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway, so thank you to Simon and Schuster for sending this my way. I highly recommend you read this if you haven't done so already. 
                                
2. Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray. This is the second book from the Firebird trilogy. I loved every single thing about this book from the romance, to all the action and all the time travel to the different dimensions. I thought the book was very well done and it included everything I love in a book (you know, romance, family, relatable characters). I won't tell you what the plot for this second book is about because I don't wanna spoil what happens in the previous book. The basic premise of A Thousand Pieces of You is about a girl whose parents invented this device called the Firebird that allows whosever wearing the so-called device to travel to multiple dimensions and alternate universes. Marguerite goes to these universes to track down Paul Markov who has supposedly killed her farther. Marguerite is racing through all these dimensions to track Paul down, but she ends up entering a love affair that she can't resist. Anyways, this is a fantastic sequel and I highly suggest you go read the first one. The entire trilogy is amazing and there some of my favourite reads, but this second one is my favourite. 


3. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. 
Even though this was originally released in 2015, I haven't gotten around to reading it until September in 2016. And I'm so glad I read it. It was such a deep, dark and unsettling book. But it's a book that discusses an issue that needs to be addressed in our society more and that is mental health (more specially depression and suicide). The overall book is about a girl, Asyel, who is obsessed with death and has plans to commit suicide. But she doesn't want to do it alone, so she contacts Roman (from an online website) and they both decide to pick one day. And that day is the day they kill themselves. But as both Roman and Asyel get to know one another, a romance starts developing and Asyel starts to realize that suicide is not the answer to their problems. So yes, this book is absolutely fantastic. I thought that it portrayed mental illness in a realistic way and I loved how the book ended on such a hopeful note. It makes us realize that there is hope and things do get better (I know that sounds incredibly cliche but it's true). I highly suggest you all go read this book ASAP. However, if you are not comfortable reading about depression, suicide and other issues relating to mental health, then I wouldn't recommend this to you. 

4. This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. 
THIS BOOK THOUGH!!! I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did. It was such a wonderful read that got more intense as I turned the pages and it got even more dark and gruesome. I've heard such incredible things about this book from the book tube community, and I was surprisingly intrigued by the plot. So, I thought I would give this book a read. This book is about two people, Kate and August, who live in a world where their city is divided by humans and monsters. Kate is a human and August is a monster. However, Kate wants to be a monster (to become a hunter and be like her farther), while August wants to become a human. Both Kate and August somehow cross paths and they develop a friendship. Their world is about to start a war and Kate and August make it their responsibility to stop the "truce" from beginning. This was such a refreshing read because there was no romance at all between the main characters. It's not often in young adult that we read about characters who have no romantic feelings for each other. I feel like every young-adult book I've read has always been about romance, and sometimes it can get extremely annoying. Anyways, this book was very enjoyable and I highly recommend it if you have gotten the chance already. 


5. Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. 
I've previously read Anna Dressed in Blood by her and I really enjoyed it. So when I read the synopsis for this and saw it was by Kendare Blake, it became my most anticipated release for 2016. It was dark, it was gruesome, it was intense. I loved (almost) everything about this book. I say almost because my only complaint was that it was really slow paced for the first 100 pages. I almost wanted to put it down because it was so slow. But once those 100 pages were read, I flew threw this book. It was so addicting, I couldn't put it down. The book is about three sisters who are fighting 'til the death to claim the throne. All three sisters have powers and gifts that would give them the automatic advantage of winning the throne. However, only 1 of the triplets has an actual gift. The two other sisters are covering this up and are faking their gifts. Mirabella is an elemental (who can control fire, water, air and earth), Arsinoe is a naturalist (who has a special connection with nature) and Katherine is a poisoner (who can consume all types of poison without dying). So, the sisters come together on their 16th birthday to fight for the throne. And whoever is the last one standing wins the right for the throne. Anyways, this book was highly addicting, intense and it got a little dark at times but it was so amazing. I highly, highly recommend this, if you haven't read it. 


6. My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodie Ashton and Jodie Meadows. 
This book truly took me by surprise in a way I wasn't expecting. I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I personally thought it was going to be a boring historical fiction. But instead, I found it to be incredibly entertaining and hilarious. It was full of wit and satire (which I appreciate) and there were even some funny parts added. The overall story focuses on three characters Edward, Jane and Gifford who are all going through different scenarios. Edward is dying and he rather be kissing a girl for the first time than having to choose a successor for the throne. Jane (who loves books) finds out that she is next in line for the throne, and is arranged to be married to Gifford. Gifford has a curse.  He gets turned into a horse during the day and he is a human at night. Edward, Jane and Gifford are drawn into this "conspiracy" that will lead them into danger. So they have to come up with a plan before its too late. This book is based off of the historical Lady Jane Grey who was only queen for nine days. It was interesting to learn a little background on the actual history of Jane Grey. This book was so addicting I could not put it down. It was anything but boring and it's one of the best historical fictions I've read so far. This book has also motivated me to read more in historical fiction genre. Highly, highly recommend it. 

That is it for my list, I hope you enjoyed. What are your favourite books from 2016? Let me know in the comments below. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now. 

No comments: