Friday, December 30, 2016

White Light by Jay Asher and Twelve Days of Dash and Lily by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Genre: young-adult, romance, contemporary 

Published: October 18th 2016

Pages: 251

Publisher: Razorbill



Synopsis 

Sierra's family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon—it's a bucolic setting for a girl to grow up in, except that every year, they pack up and move to California to set up their Christmas tree lot for the season. So Sierra lives two lives: her life in Oregon and her life at Christmas. And leaving one always means missing the other. 

Until this particular Christmas, when Sierra meets Caleb, and one life eclipses the other.

By reputation, Caleb is not your perfect guy: years ago, he made an enormous mistake and has been paying for it ever since. But Sierra sees beyond Caleb's past and becomes determined to help him find forgiveness and, maybe, redemption. As disapproval, misconceptions, and suspicions swirl around them, Caleb and Sierra discover the one thing that transcends all else: true love. (source)

Thoughts 

Since it's the month of December I thought it was time to pick up some Christmas books and get myself in the Christmas spirit. Now, Jay Asher wrote Thirteen Reasons Why and I really enjoyed it. So when I found out that he had a new book out, I was completely on board. I was very excited to finally pick this up and I'm so glad I did. I highly recommend this if you want a sweet, fluffy, lighthearted Christmas book to get you in the mood for the holidays. 

I thought this was a lighthearted, fluffy, easy read that just gave me all of the feels. I loved the romance between Sierra and Caleb, plus the other characters were great as well. It was nice how Caleb was not your typical bad boy (the synopsis says he is one) and he knows that he's made some mistakes and owns up to them (like buying Christmas trees for families who can't afford them). He treated Sierra with respect and didn't just ditch her and make her feel like crap. However, I did find that their love was a little insta-lovey at first, but the actual romance developed slowly so I was okay with the slight insta-love. I also liked how Sierra's parents were very much involved in her life and not just pushed to side like they didn't exist (like in some young-adult contemporary novels). Many people have said this about the book, but I liked how she was established in both places and loved them both equally. She didn't choose one city over the other and (like I said) was established in both places, like having friends and family. 

Those are all my thoughts on this book. I loved it so much and I would definitely read this book again next year during the Christmas season. 

                    ❄️                                           ❄️                                         ❄️

Genre: young-adult, romance, contemporary

Published: October 18th 2016 

Pages: 215

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers 



Synopsis 

Dash and Lily have had a tough year since they first fell in love among the shelves of their favorite bookstore. Lily’s beloved grandfather suffered a heart attack, and his difficult road to recovery has taken a major toll on her typically sunny disposition.

With only twelve days left until Christmas—Lily’s favorite time of the year—Dash, Lily’s brother Langston, and their closest friends must take Manhattan by storm to help Lily recapture the unique holiday magic of a glittering, snow-covered New York City in December. (source

Thoughts 

I was super excited for this book to come out as it is a sequel to one of my all time favourite Christmas books (Dash and Lily's Book of Dares). The Dash and Lily books are great books to read during the Christmas season and I highly recommend you guys read the first novel. I was really hoping to enjoy this book but unfortunately I didn't love it as much as the first one. Don't get me wrong, I still liked the book, I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to. If you want a more lighthearted story then read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares. You are not going to find anything fluffy within this book. This is is because the characters are going through a ton of changes and Lily is depressed because of her grandpa's declining health (I understand why she would be sad) but it was just a bummer to read about. 

I thought this book had the potential to be a great, happy Christmas book. But it was executed poorly and I didn't enjoy it as much. There was a lack of excitement and adventure in this book that didn't carry over from the previous novel. Overall, it's not one of my favourite Christmas books but it was still a good book that got me in the mood during the holiday season. 

That is it for my main thoughts. I really had high explications for this book and I was very disappointed with how this novel was executed. I would still highly recommend you guys go read the first book, and maybe not pick this one up right after. 

                         ❄️                                     ❄️                                           ❄️

Rate 

First Book: 5/5
Second Book: 3/5 

No comments: