Friday, December 30, 2016

December Wrap Up 📚

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here and it is that time of the month were I talk about the books I read in December. I only read six books this month which is great considering I had my final exams and it was Christmas and all. I still somehow managed to read all the books I planned to read, including an additional book I wasn't planning to read. 
Anyways, I know I said that I would be blogging a lot more this Christmas season but life got in the way and I wasn't able to blog as much. But it was also Christmas and I really wanted to spend time with my family and friends before I go back to school. So, without any further ado let's get into the wrap up. 

The first book I read this month was Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters. I planned on reading this in November but I didn't get around to it then. So I managed to read it now. This is an LGBT contemporary about a girl who loses her girlfriend very suddenly and Alix has to come to terms with her girlfriends death. However, she finds out some shocking news about her former girlfriend and another girl is involved. Alix and Liana (the other women) develop a bond which leads into a romance. Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. It was relatable and realistic. However, there were a few frustrating parts about the book (I can't remember right now). But if you want to know my full thoughts on this book, I have a combined review (along with You Know Me Well) that is up on this blog now. So, go check it out. I rated this a 4/5 stars. 




The next book I read was You Know Me Well by Nina Lacour and David Levithan. I really enjoyed this book as well. This was another LGBT contemporary that I just impulsively picked up. This story gave me all of the feels (especially towards the end). The characters were slightly over the top at times, but the two main characters were extremely realistic so it worked out well. David Levithan is one of my favourite authors so I love getting the opportunity to read anything by him. And Nina Lacour is a great author as well. I read her previous book and it was very enjoyable. Anyways back to this book, it is such a wonderful read and I highly recommend it. I have a combined review with another book (previous one mentioned), and all of my complete thoughts on this book (and the other) are in my previous post. I also rated this a 4/5 stars. 





The third book I read this month was This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. This book just got more intense as the book progressed. It was so dark, edgy and creepy and I loved every minute of it. I read this in the course of three days and it was such a great book. I'm so looking forward the second and final book to this duology and I just want to see how this story ends. The most refreshing part about this story was that there was no romance. It was so unique and different from anything I've ever read before. And the friendship between Kate and August was amazing. I will have a review up on this book very soon. I rated this book a 5/5 stars. 



The fourth book I read was What Light by Jay Asher. Now, since  it's the Christmas season, I was very much in the mood to read a holiday book. This was seriously one of the best Christmas books I've read in all the years I've been reading holiday themed books. This had all the romance, family and friendship. Reading this book was liking watching a Christmas movie on the Hallmark channel. It was such a cute, fluffy and lighthearted read that was perfect for the holiday season. If you want to know more of my thoughts of this book, then I'm doing a combined review with The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. I rated this a 5/5 stars. 







The fifth book I read was The Twelve Days of Dash and Lily by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. I have been anticipating this release ever since I first heard about it. This is the sequel to Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, which I really enjoyed. This one however, I didn't love as much. I felt like it had the potential to be this great lighthearted story, but it was executed poorly. It lacked the excitement and adventure that was in the previous book. Lots of things between the characters were changing and Lily was depressing to read about. This story was not as enjoyable as the first one was, but I still liked it. I just didn't love it as much and overall it's not one of my favourite stories. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to love it, but that just didn't happen. Anyways, I will have a combined review up soon explaining more of my thoughts. I rated this a 3/5 stars. 




The last book I read this month (and for 2016) was My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodie Ashton and Jodie Meadows. This was such a fantastic book. It's a historical fiction that is based off of the nine day queen Lady Jane Grey. But the history is not the most accurate but it's a story that's meant to entertain you, not educate you. But it was still interesting to get a little bit of background on the actual history, and I'm glad that's not all the story focused on. Going into this book, I thought it was going to be a very boring and bland book. But it turned out to be the complete opposite as it was full of wit and satire (which I love). It was hilarious and I even found myself laughing at some of the parts. I loved all three of the main characters, especially Jane. I felt that I could relate and identify with her thoughts, and I also loved her love for reading. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind and to say what she wanted. I really admire Jane for that considering the time period she lived in. I will have a full review on my thoughts very soon. Definitely one of my favourite books this year. I rated this a 5/5 stars. 

So that is it for my wrap up I hope you all enjoyed. If you've read any of these books then let me know your thoughts in the comments below. I can't believe this year went by so fast. Lots of negative things happened in the world (politically, socially, and even celebrity legends dying before our eyes). So even though I'm sad to see this year go, I'm still excited for this year to come and see what 2017 has to offer. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now. 

No comments: