Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Genre: fantasy, young-adult, fiction

Published: September 20th 2016

Pages: 398

Publisher: HarperTeen 



Synopsis 

When kingdom come, there will be one.

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown. (source)

Thoughts 

I have been anticipating this book for so long, that I literally couldn't wait to pick it up. So, when I saw it a week early at the bookstore, I obviously had to get it. I was very intrigued by the concept of the story and the fact that it was a fantasy really surprised me because I'm not to drawn to that genre. So, I knew I had to give this book and genre a chance. Now, I will for sure be reading more books in fantasy, because this book was just incredible and beautiful from start to finish. But I will say that the pacing in the beginning was rather slow, but by 100 pages, the book really flew by and I couldn't put it down. Everything about this book was fantastic from the world building, to the character development, and the plot. It was such a perfect read I highly recommend it, if you want to start reading fantasy. 

My biggest issue with this book was the pacing. I found it to be rather slow during the first 100 pages, but by that point, the story just really flowed and went by very quickly. This is why I'm taking a half off of a rating. But I do think the pacing was slow because there was a lot of world building and we had different characters that we needed to be introduced to. I actually did find the characters to be confusing at first because there were so many of them. But I eventually got used to them and for me, that's when the story really picked up. 

Even though this is a fantasy and so you don't necessarily relate to the characters a whole lot, I still found myself having a connection with each of the sisters individually. I loved the three sisters equally because they are all such bad asses in their own way, and I could really relate to that. They weren't afraid to say what they wanted, and be rebellious a little bit. I loved how courageous they all were and I can't wait to read more about them in the next book. 

This book was so dark, creepy (on some level) and intense. I believe this is the perfect book to read during this time of year, where you can cuddle up in a blanket with a nice drink with a good book on a cold, rainy day. I absolutely loved this book, and I would consider this to be one of my favourite books this year. I highly, highly recommend this book if you want a good original fantasy. 

Rate 

4.5/5 

No comments: