Sunday, October 2, 2016

Gathering Blue and Messenger by Lois Lowry

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here and I thought I would do something different and combine two book reviews into two separate mini reviews for each book. The books I will be reviewing are Gathering Blue and Messenger both by Lois Lowry. So without further ado, let's get into the reviews. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now. 

Genre: young-adult, science-fiction, fantasy

Published: March 5th 2013 (first published, September 2000) 

Pages: 256

Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers 


Synopsis 

Six years later, she ushered readers back into its mysterious but plausible future world in Gathering Blue to tell the story of Kira, orphaned, physically flawed, and left with an uncertain future. (source)


Thoughts 

My thoughts on this book are going to be very brief, because I don't have to much thoughts on it. But I do have enough to write up a decent review. So, this is the second book to the Giver's quartet but it is a companion to the first book. It has absolutely no connection to The Giver, but it does take place in a similar world. So because of that, we get to meet a whole bunch of new characters, which I thought was a cool aspect. However, that doesn't mean I enjoyed it. 

It was fast paced, but a dull read. There was a lack of character development between the supporting characters. And the main character herself was not that interesting to read about. This would have to be my least favourite out of the quartet so far because I wasn't entirely into the whole story itself. However, the world building in this story is incredible so I will give this book a slightly higher rating based on that alone. 

If you have finished The Giver and want to continue on with series, I suggest you do as each story gets better. Personally for me, it would be best to go into this book not knowing a whole lot about it.  

Rate 

2/5

Genre: young-adult, science-fiction, fantasy

Published: April 26th 2004 

Pages: 169

Publisher: HMH Books for Younger Readers 


Synopsis

Matty has lived in Village and flourished under the guidance of Seer, a blind man known for his special sight. Village once welcomed newcomers, but something sinister has seeped into Village and the people have voted to close it to outsiders. Matty has been invaluable as a messenger. Now he must risk everything to make one last journey through the treacherous forest with his only weapon, a power he unexpectedly discovers within himself. (source

Thoughts

I just finished this today, and I have to say it's a pretty good book. I enjoyed it far more than I did with the Gathering Blue. It wasn't as good as The Giver, but I still enjoyed the book as a whole. The world building was wonderful as usual, but there were a lot of plot holes that kind of made me question a few things. For example, with the Trade Mart section of the story, we get all this information on it. But then it just mysteriously disappears and nothing is ever resolved from that. Like what ever happened with it afterwards? I just wish I knew more information on that portion of the book. The pacing of the book was kind of slow at times, but I managed to get through it. Other then that, it was a pretty entertaining book and I recommend it. 

The main character Matty, is the same character as the little "tyke" in Gathering Blue. So it was interesting to see his perspective and what ended up happening to him after the ending of the second book. I enjoyed reading more about his life than I did with Kira's (as you know). And It was also nice to see what ended up happening with the different characters like Jonas and Gabe, and Kira in this book. I liked knowing that things ended on a positive note with each of them. 

Rate 

3/5

No comments: