Friday, October 7, 2016

As I Descended by Robin Talley

Genre: young-adult, GLBT, retellings, fantasy

Published: September 6th 2016 

Pages: 384

Publisher: HarperTeen 


Synopsis 

Maria Lyon and Lily Boiten are their school’s ultimate power couple—even if no one knows it but them.

Only one thing stands between them and their perfect future: campus superstar Delilah Dufrey.

Golden child Delilah is a legend at the exclusive Acheron Academy, and the presumptive winner of the distinguished Cawdor Kingsley Prize. She runs the school, and if she chose, she could blow up Maria and Lily’s whole world with a pointed look, or a carefully placed word.

But what Delilah doesn’t know is that Lily and Maria are willing to do anything—absolutely anything—to make their dreams come true. And the first step is unseating Delilah for the Kingsley Prize. The full scholarship, awarded to Maria, will lock in her attendance at Stanford―and four more years in a shared dorm room with Lily.

Maria and Lily will stop at nothing to ensure their victory—including harnessing the dark power long rumored to be present on the former plantation that houses their school.

But when feuds turn to fatalities, and madness begins to blur the distinction between what’s real and what is imagined, the girls must decide where they draw the line. (source)

Thoughts 

I first saw this book on Goodreads while I was in one of my classes, really bored out of mind. And I was very intrigued by the synopsis so I knew I had to read this ASAP. I just finished this today, and man was it ever amazing?! I loved everything about this book from the retelling, to the LGBT twist, and the diversity. I think that the author did an amazing job at turning Macbeth into her own story. Even though I could tell that it was in fact a retelling of Macbeth, she still truly made it unique. I also enjoyed the characters for what they were.and this book really got me in the mood for fall and Halloween, because of its dark content (which I loved). It was such a great read that I consider reading again in the future. I loved the book as a whole and I highly recommend it. 

The first thing I wanna talk about is the LGBT and diversity that was in this novel. There was plenty of diversity in this book, with disability, Hispanic characters and of course, the female to female and male to male romances. There was a lot of it to go around, and I loved every moment of it. I believe it just made the story so unique and it got me to give this book a high rating. I say this because I find that there isn't a lot of diversity in young-adult books when it comes to disabled and international characters. I personally think there should be more of disabled and non-white characters in young-adult. With the LGBT romances, I loved both of them. Everything was going okay with Maria and Lily until things took a huge negative turn and it grew dysfunctional. While Brandon and Mateo had the potential for their relationship to grow and become something beautiful, it also ended on a tragic note. I was so upset by these circumstances, but since Macbeth is a tragedy, I had the expectation that it would end badly.  

Speaking of the characters, all of them were so unique and wonderful. I wouldn't necessarily want to be their friends, but they were still great characters with their own issues. Just like in the actual play, each character has a different way of dealing with guilt and grief and you can definitely see that in this book. Unfortunately their guilt takes a dark turn, and there were other ways that they could of handled the main situation; like, I don't know, maybe actually telling somebody about it. 😐😐😐 
But despite that, the characters were well-liked and I didn't have any issues with them, mainly because they are based off of the people in Macbeth. So I understood what the circumstances were and why they acted the way they did. I didn't actually connect with them, but I don't think you're supposed to actually connect with the characters, so that wasn't an issue with me while reading this book. 

I swear this book is a dark and creepy book that really got me in the mood to read more of this type of genre. I tend to read more books like this towards the fall and winter months. And this was the perfect book to get me motivated to read more of the genre (like I just said). I really enjoyed this book, and I'm considering this to be one of my favourite books of the year so far. I highly recommend this book, if you want a good retelling with a creepy and dark vibe, with LGBT elements.  

Rate 

5/5

No comments: