Friday, September 30, 2016

September Wrap Up

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here, and it is that time of the month were I show you the books I read in September. I read total of 7 books this month, more than I thought I would actually, but it was still a pretty good reading month. Most of the books I read were pretty amazing as well and I would recommend them for you guys to read. So lets get into this wrap-up. 

The first book I finished this month was It Gets Worse: A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson. I have been a huge fan of his since 2008, and so when he came out with this book, I knew I had to get it. I also read his previous book (same style) and it was pretty good. This book is definitely a lot darker in terms of content than his first book, but it was still a very entertaining read. I still watch his Youtube videos on a regular basis and they always make me laugh on some level. I rated this book a 4/5 stars. 


The second book I read in the month of September was Away We Go by Emil Ostroviski. This was an anticipated release for me, for quite a bit, and I had such high expectations for this book. However, when I sat down to read the book, I started to realize that my expectations were not being met. I was upset that this book was not to my liking because I really wanted to enjoy it. If you want to know more details on my thoughts, I have a full review on this blog that you can check out. I rated this a 2/5 stars. 

The third book I read this month was A Step Toward Falling by Cammie McGovern. This is definitely one of my favourite books this year. It was such an enjoyable but realistic read. I thought the author did such an amazing job at portraying kids/young adults who have disabilities in a realistic and authentic way. And I believe that disabilities should be expressed more in books, and this was a great one to read. I loved the characters, and I loved how you got to see both sides of the story. I rated this a 5/5 stars. 





The fourth book I read was The Giver by Lois Lowry. This was a book that I didn't expect to read this month, but I'm glad I read it. I had to read this for one of my classes, and I really enjoyed it. I have a full review if you want to know my full thoughts on this story. I loved the world-building and all the different characters in it. I tired to read this when I was a freshman in high school, but I put it down. I must have not appreciated its themes at the time. Anyways, I rated this a 4/5 stars. 





The next book I read was The Accident Season by Moria Fowely-Doyle. This was the perfect book to get me in the mood for fall and October. I enjoyed this book for its thrilling, suspenseful, gripping and addicting qualities. However, there were some elements to this book that I didn't like. An example of that was the weird relationship between all the main characters and the somewhat odd writing style. Other than that, this book was really enjoyable and I recommend it. I just couldn't get past the creepy relationships so that's why it's a lower rating. I rated this a 3.5/5 stars. By the way, there is a full review if you want to know more of my thoughts. 


The sixth book I read this month was My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. This was such a dark and mysterious story that deals with serious issues.  This is another one of my favourite books this year, as it was an amazing read. Pius it was so realistic and beautifully written. I also loved how authentic the main character was, and how she was able to find hope again. And I really liked how things ended on a positive note between Aysel and Roman, it just made the whole story better. I rated this book a 5/5 stars. 




The last book I managed to read this month was Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. This is the second book to the Giver's quartet, and it's a companion novel to The Giver. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did with first book, but it was still okay. It wasn't the greatest book I read. I will have full review on this book soon, but it was my least favourite book I read this month. The main character was not that interesting, and there was a lack of character development with the supporting characters. I rated this a 2/5 stars.




That is it for this monthly wrap-up I hope you all enjoyed. How many books did you read this month? Let me know in the comments below. I will be back with another post soon. Happy reading, and until my next post. Goodbye for now. 

No comments: