Monday, September 5, 2016

Away We Go by Emil Ostrovski

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, GLBT

Published: April 5th 2016

Pages: 270

Publisher: GreenWillow Books



Synopsis 

Westing is not your typical school. For starters, you have to have one very important quality in order to be admitted—you have to be dying. Every student at Westing has been diagnosed with PPV, or the Peter Pan Virus. No one is expected to live to graduation.

What do you do when you go to a school where no one has a future? Noah Falls, his girlfriend Alice, and his best friend Marty spend their time drinking, making out, and playing video games on awaywego.com. But when an older boy named Zach (who Noah may or may not be in love with) invites Noah and Marty to join his secret Polo Club, the lives of both boys change as they struggle to find meaning in their shortened existence. (source)

Thoughts


I was originally drawn to this book because, of its unique concept with kids going to a high school where they don't live up to graduation. I have never heard of such a cool premise. And so because of that, I thought it was going to be an awesome book. But that's not how it was for me and I was very disappointed by that. I had very high expectations going into this book and I didn't like how it turned out. For me, this book had so much potential to be a fantastic novel. And I also had different expectations within this book, but it turned out to be way different than I thought. Am I saying this is a bad book? No, I'm not. I'm just saying that this was an okay book. I didn't like it but I didn't hate it either. 

Like I previously mentioned, there were a lot of specific expectations that I had for this book, but unfortunately, those were not met. The first one being, that I really wished this had the perspectives of the six different kids that were mentioned instead of with just one. It would have been interesting to see how PPV (Peter Pan Virus) affected the different characters and not just with one person. And another expectation that I would've enjoyed was that, I wished it was more of an uplifting and inspiring novel. Instead, it was a very sad and depressing read. I understand that people are dying and they feel hopeless, but I would've liked there to be more of a positive message (like a live your life while you can sort of thing). 

Other than that, I really had no other issues that made me dislike this book. And I don't have any other thoughts on this book either. So that is it for this review I hope you guys enjoyed, and if you have read this book than let me know in the comments below. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now. 

Rate

2.5/5

No comments: