Monday, August 15, 2016

Dreamology by Lucy Keating

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance, fantasy

Published: April 12th 2016

Pages: 336

Publisher: HarperTeen


Synopsis (book jacket)

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max, a boy she's never met. Together they have traveled the world, ridden pink elephants, had cookie-fights at the Metropolitan Museum, and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams--only her dreams--until the morning she finds him sitting next to her in class, very much alive. But he has no idea who Alice is. Or does he? 
     As Alice and Max get to know each other all over again. Alice learns that Real Max is nothing like Dream Max. He's complicated and stubborn. He also has a girlfriend, and a whole life Alice isn't a part of. 
     Some strange things from their dreams begin popping up while there awake: giant talking parrots, hot-pink autumn leaves, and rainbow-colored shooting stars. Alice and Max have to find a way to make stop--even if it means putting an end to their dream life. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough? 
Thoughts 

This book was one of my anticipated releases/buys ever since I first heard of it. And I was intrigued to read this book because of it's original and unique concept. It was definitely refreshing to read a book that involved something that is not often talked about in YA: dreams. The romance between Alice and Max was very well developed and Alice was a decent character to read about. My only issue with this book, was that Alice's love towards Max seemed obsessive and 'insta-lovey' and that her character was slightly unrealistic at times. But I believe that's how her character was supposed to be portrayed, and I'm okay with that. It's just the 'insta-lovey' part that I didn't like. Other then that, I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it if you want a different twist on a contemporary. 

I thought the magical-realism element to this story was well done. And I was able to envision some of the descriptions of the dreams. I find it refreshing that contemporaries have this type of element in a story and it makes it more interesting to read, other than a typical contemporary read. 

Like I previously mentioned, the romance between Alice and Max was well developed, but it was also very stressful to read about. Max had his moods, and Alice was not always in touch with reality. Even though there both two very different people, they were still able to make their relationship work. And it brings on the message within readers that people with different personalities can in fact have a successful and healthy relationship. I loved how things worked out in the end and I thought that ended the book on a nice note. 

I very much enjoyed this book and it was an entertaining read. I look forward to reading other books by this author. So those are pretty much my thoughts on this book, I hope you all enjoyed it. If you have read this book then let me know your thoughts in the comments below. 

Rate

4/5

No comments: