Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August Book Haul (3)

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here and I'm here to show you guys the books that I bought throughout the month of August. I bought a total of 11 books! I have never bought that many books in a month, but that's okay with me because I won't be buying this many books for a long time. Since school is beginning in the next week and in order for me save money and use them for school expenses, I am only going to be buying 1 book a month. That's right, 1 book per month. So because of this, I won't be posting any hauls on a monthly basis, but instead it will be one book haul from the next four months. For example: I buy 1 book in September, and 1 in October, November and December. And then I will put those books together to make one haul. Hopefully this will work out for me and sort of limit me from buying 2-3 or more books in one purchase (because I have done that before). 
Anyways, I think this intro has gone on for long enough so with out any further ado, let's get right into the haul. 

The first three books I will be showing you guys are from a used book store. I love used book stores because I can find books for cheap (prices) but you also find them in great condition. And I believe it costed $20 for the 3 books. I highly recommend used book stores if you guys want great books for cheap prices but don't necessarily have the option or want to go online. 

The first book I picked up was Little White Lies by Katie Dale. I thought the premise of the book was rather interesting and mysterious. It's pretty much about this girl named Lou who meets Christian. But Christian isn't exactly telling Lou the whole truth throughout their relationship. But when Christian's house burns down and gets injured in an accident, the whole truth about his life is poured out and Lou believes that everything he's ever told her was all a lie. "Can what the media are saying about him really be true? Should Lou trust him? Or is she in grave danger? And what if their accidental meeting wasn’t an accident at all...?"  *quote is from goodreads*
So yes I'm excited to read this whenever I get the chance too. And hopefully it's a good read.


 The second book I picked up was Love and Other Theories by Alexis Bass. This one is more of a light-hearted, and cutesy contemporary. It's about Aubrey and her best friends and they have made a rule that they shouldn't fall in love, to avoid getting their hearts broken. But when Nathan moves into town, Aubrey is smitten and well, she ends up falling in love with him. It's basically another one of those romantic summery type contemporaries and I'm excited to read this book, in order to see what it has to offer. 






The last book I picked up from the used book store was The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider. This one is a contemporary novel about a boy named Ezra who was a popular student at school. But that was all before his girlfriend cheats on him, he gets into an accident and he falls in love with new girl Cassidy Thorpe. I have heard a lot of good things about this book except for that it is slow to get into at first, but it picks up once the story progresses. This is one contemporary that I want to get to reading soon. 





The next book I picked up was Away We Go by Emil Ostroviski. I have been drawn to this book even since I first heard of it. I was intrigued to buy it because of its unique concept. It's about 5 or 6 students that have been diagnosed with Peter Pan Syndrome. This means that they all go to Westing high school. But there's a catch--it's for the dying. I have heard some good things about it, and I'm looking forward to reading it sometime in the next few months. Also can we just talk about how beautiful this cover is?!  





This next book I picked up was When We Collided by Emery Lord. I read her two previous books, Open Road Summer and The Start of Me and You. And both books were incredible to the extent of me saying that The Start of Me and You is one of my favourites I've read this year and of all time. So because of that, I wanted to read her newest book. This book is mainly about two different people named Vivi and Jonah. Vivi moves to a small town in California and she's dealing with her own battles, while Jonah's father just died and now has to be "the man of the house" in order to take care of his five siblings. The two both meet and they quickly fall in love, as they have to deal with their own circumstance as well as their blooming romance. I'm excited to pick this up soon, and hopefully I enjoy it as much as her other books. 


The next book I picked up was The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. I've been meaning to pick up this book, ever since I've heard such amazing things about it. There's also going to be a film based off this book, so I'm excited to see the movie as well. This one is rather a mysterious book about a girl who commutes by train everyday and she sees this perfect couple. Until one day, something is wrong and she contacts the police. She is then sucked into this case and is determined to find out what really happened to the couple on the train. So, like I said I'm excited to pick this one up and hopefully it is as good as everyone says it is. 




The next book I got was It Gets Worse by Shane Dawson. Now, I have been watching Shane's videos since 2008, so I have been a huge supporter of him and his content. I have his previous book I Hate Myselfie and it was a fantastic first book. This book is a collection of essays that Shane has written about his life (and his first book was in this style as well). He has said that this book is a little more personal, as he tells stories that he has never told us all before. I can't wait to read this in the month of September. 





This next book I picked up was Boys of Summer by Jessica Brody. I have been meaning to buy this book for while now because it's not like any other summer/beach read I've seen. This is because most of these types of reads have a female dominated plot, and perspective. So it was interesting to read that this plot revolves around three male best friends who all spend their summer at this place called Winlock Harbour. But that was all before Ian's dad never returned from his last deployment, Grayson's accident and an injured arm affect his further, and Mike having to take more responsibility to provide for his family. So yes, this does look like a typical beach read but it also has some depth into it as well. I'm excited to read this next summer or whenever I get the opportunity. 


This next book I ended up buying was Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown. This is a slightly different contemporary read because it involves LGBT characters. I have been anticipating for this book to release ever since I first heard of it. I thought the premise of the book was interesting as it's about a girl who's name is Joanna and she's openly gay in Atlanta, Georgia. Everyone accepts her, and supports her for being a lesbian, even her father who is a pastor (I think). But when her father remarries, they move to a small town in Georgia and her dad tells her to keep her sexuality on the "down low" for her senior year. She reluctantly agrees and keeps this promise until she meets Mary Carlson. She is now in a conflict with having to decide if she should keep her promise with her dad, or be her true self and pursue a romance with Mary. So yes, I'm excited to read this sometime soon. 


This second last book I picked up was Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray. This is the second book to the Firebird trilogy. And I bought this book because I wanted to read more of this trilogy to see what the rest of the series has to offer. I read the first book this month and it was such an amazing read and I will have a full review for it up soon. Anyways, I can't explain what this book is about because of spoilers but the first book is about a girl whose parents are scientists and her mother invents this device called the Firebird that allows people to travel through different dimensions and alternate universes. So when Paul, a research assistant murders Marguerite's father, she travels through multiple dimensions (with the help of Theo, another assistant) to track down Paul and kill him themselves. So yes, I'm super excited to read this book whenever I get the chance too (but definitely before the last book come out). 


The last book I bought this month was The Lost and Found by Katerina Leno. Before I go any further, can we talk about how beautiful this cover is. It's so simple, and elegant. Anyways, this cover is really what made me want to buy the book. But I do know that it's a contemporary about Frannie and Louis and they meet in an online support group for trauma survivors. They have never met in person, yet they have so much in common. They both have the tendency to lose things, and situations come into their lives unexpectedly. Louis gets a letter about his tennis scholarship but it's further away from home then he expected. While Frannie receives a letter informing her of her mother's death and one last wish. From opposite coasts they go on this road trip to Austin, Texas to find answers and each other. Well, that sounds like an inspiring contemporary that I will get around to reading soon. 

                      ----------                             -----------                            -----------

So that is it for this very long book haul and I hope you all enjoyed. If you bought any books this month, then let me know in the comments below. I am looking forward to be reading all these books sometime soon or in the the next couple of months. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now. 

No comments: