Sunday, July 17, 2016

Through to You by Lauren Barnholdt

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance

Published: July 8th 2014

Pages: 288

Publisher: Simon Pulse


Synopsis (from book jacket)

It starts with a scribbled note in class: I like your sparkle. Harper had casually threaded a piece of blue and green tinsel through her ponytail in honour of school spirit day. And that carefree, corny gesture is what grabs Penn's Mattingly's eye. Penn--resident heartbreaker of the senior class. Reliably unreliable. Trouble with a capital T. And, okay, smolderingly sexy.
     Harper is surprised by Penn's attention--and so is Penn. The last thing he's needs is a girlfriend. Or even a friend-with-benefits. The note is not supposed to lead to anything. 
     But they hang out. They have fun. They talk They make out. And after awhile, it seems like they just click. Except Penn and Harper have very different ideas about what they expect in a relationship. Of course, they could talk about these differences--if Penn knew how to talk about feelings. 
     Harper and Penn understand their attraction is illogical, yet something keeps pulling them together. It's a crazy rollercoaster--exhilarating, terrifying, and amazing all at once. And neither knows how to stop the ride...

Thoughts

When I started this book, I was in a pretty bad reading slump where I didn't read too much in over a week. I initially started reading Entwined by Heather Dixon, but then I began to go into a deeper slump and that's when I knew I needed to pick up a different book that didn't involve so much world-building and fantasy. So obviously I chose this book to read. Overall, I thought this book was an entertaining and fast paced read with a cute romantic element that gave me all the feels. However, I had one issue with this book that caused me not to give this story a full five stars. The main characters were irritating slightly, as they were both acting a little over-the-top at times. But I understood why they were acting the way they did. Other than that, I thought this book was one of her better books that she has written. I recommend this book to you guys if you want a fluffy, light read, and a cute romance.

My only main issue with this book was the two main characters Harper and Penn. Like I previously mentioned they were both annoying and I didn't like how they were acting over-the-top and dramatic. But I do understand the reasons for their way of thinking/acting. For example, I understand why Penn was acting like a bad-boy (read the book to find out) but for certain situations, he took it a tad too far and I didn't think the "bad-boy" attitude was necessary for those moments. And Harper was always self-doubting herself, and having second thoughts about situations and I understand that. It's okay to have those moments of self-doubt, but there comes a point where you have to stop self-doubting yourself and just go with it.

The romance in this book was very realistic in terms of how it was portrayed within the two main characters. The chemistry between Harper and Penn was extremely relatable and their relationship was complicated but it wasn't too complicated. It was nice to read a relationship like that.  I personally believe that Lauren Barnholdt does a good job at relating to the demographic--which in this case is teenagers. This kind of work is what makes me like the author so much. Her writing style is easy to get into, and the characters are relatable to the demographic. But I will say I do have a love-hate relationship with her books because I don't necessarily enjoy all of them, but this particular one was a book that I enjoyed a lot.

That is pretty much all I have to say about this book and I hope you enjoyed. If you have read this book, let me know what your thoughts were in the comment section. So that is it and until my next post goodbye for now.

Rate

4/5

No comments: