Friday, July 22, 2016

Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance, chick-lit, realistic fiction

Published: June 2012

Pages: 354

Publisher: HarperCollins


Synopsis

If given the opportunity, what sixteen year old would jump at the opportunity to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny lie and untruth to make it happen (see #1: Lied to Our Parents). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) is a mystery to them. To get through the year, April will have to struggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart....one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.  

Thoughts

I originally picked up this book because I needed a contemporary that was a light, quick, and fluffy read and I felt like this book did the trick. However, this novel didn't blow me away as being one of the greatest books ever. But it was still a good read that I recommend during the summer months. It was full of romance, friendships, family, and an slight element of coming-of-age. My main problem with this book, was the main character April. She was really annoying, irritating and naive. There were points throughout the book were I was just like "Really April?" and "I can't believe you didn't figure that out, it was so obvious!" Other then that, this book was a fast read but it was a mediocre one. I still recommend it.

Going into more detail about my main issue, April was a very naive character and she was just irritating to read about. However, I could relate to her on a certain level when it came to her family problems. I have parents who are divorced so I understand the emotional scaring that it can have on your relationships with people. And this is how she feels throughout the majority of the novel. But that doesn't mean I liked her as a character. *Spoiler Alert* It's pretty obvious that Noah has been acting weird (he cheated on her), but she doesn't figure it out until the very end and she doesn't even ask him "Why the f**k are you acting so strange?" It upset me that she couldn't even do the first thing that most people would do if their relationship was in this situation. *shakes head*

What I liked about the novel was that the plot was a very original but simple plot and there were no major twists. And it stayed pretty mellow throughout the novel. So that was a good element to the book. I liked this book, but I didn't love it either, as it was just one of those books that didn't completely blow me away. It was just a nice, and simple read.

So that is it for my book review I hoped you enjoyed. And until my next one, goodbye for now.

Rate

3/5

No comments: