Monday, July 25, 2016

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Genre: fantasy, young-adult, romance

Published: March 29 2011

Pages: 472

Publisher: Greenwillow Books


Synopsis (from book)

Just when Azalea should feel that everything is before her--beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing--it's taken away. All of it. And Azalea is trapped. The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. So he extends an invitation. 
  Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest, but there is a cost. The Keeper likes to keep things. Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.


Thoughts

When I picked up this book, I fell into a bit of a reading slump were I didn't really read anything for about a week. And because of this, I thought that the book was rather slow towards the beginning. 
But by 125 pages or so, that's when the story really started to pick up and I flew threw this book for however many pages I read in one sitting. This book is a fairytale retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. And I thought this book had different elements that made this retelling/story so unique from all the rest (which are family and romance). Once the book picked up, I thought that Entwined was one of the best fairytale retellings I have read and I am looking forward to reading more in the future. I recommend this book if your looking for a good stand alone fairytale retelling. 

For the time period that this book was set in (probably the 17-1800's I'm not too sure its not specified), I thought that the romance between Azalea and Mr Bradford was very slowly developed. But considering the time period, this development was realistic. I enjoyed Mr Bradford and Azalea together, and I loved how happy and joyful Azalea felt when she was with him. It made me giddy while reading. Each of the other romances in the book with Bramble and Clover, were not too cheesy or cliched but they were the perfect kind of romance for the time period. 

I loved the family element to this story and it made me happy to see how close the sisters were to one  another. It was also nice to see how their farther slowly changed his ways towards his daughters during the mourning period. 

Well I don't have other thoughts on this book, so that is pretty much it for this review. I hope you all enjoyed. If you have read this book, then let me know your thoughts in the comments below. 

Rate

4/5

No comments: