Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance, fiction

Published: September 1st 2015

Pages: 310

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers


Synopsis (from book jacket)

My disease is as rare as it if famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black--black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back his name is Olly. 

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster. 

Thoughts 

In a certain type of way, this was an uplifting book that made me think about things in life that I have never thought about. And there are certain things that we take for granted, like having the ability to go outside, and overall having a life outside your home. I think it's good to read books that are like this because they educate you more on social issues that you may or may not have known about.  

Anyways, I thought this book was amazing for its simplicity and depth. The only thing that gave this book a four instead of a five star, was that it was little too predictable. I pretty much knew what was going to happen from 100 pages in, and that sucks because I wanted to be surprised at the very end when the news came out. Other then that, it was an amazing book that I recommend you all check out.

The main character Maddie, was a good character. I understand her feelings on the circumstances that she has had to face throughout the story. But what was disappointing about her, was her inability to stick up for herself. Within the book, there were so many opportunities that she could've done this, but she didn't and I was hoping she would of. Overall, I liked Maddie and I felt that I could connect with her on a emotional level, because I personally have dealt with similar emotions. 

I also liked how there were some other circumstances in this book besides Maddie's, like with Ollie's family for example. Despite Maddie developing a romance with Olly, Olly himself was going through some family issues that were not ideal. But it was good how the the author touched on the dysfunction of his family because, there are people out there who could relate to that issue alone (Read the book to find out what it is).

Anyways, those are my non-spoiler thoughts on this book, I hope you enjoyed it. I enjoyed Everything, Everything and it was an uplifting, inspiring book that gave me a new perspective. I recommend you all to read this book if you want a cute romance, and with some depth in the storyline. 

Rate 

4/5

No comments: