Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Season of You and Me by Robin Constantine

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance

Published: May 10th 2016

Pages: 352

Publisher: Balzer + Bray



Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Cassidy Emmerich is determined to make this summer--the last before her boyfriend heads off to college--unforgettable. What she doesn't count on is her boyfriend breaking up with her. Now, instead of being poolside with him, Cass is over a hundred miles away, spending the summer with her estranged farther and his family at their bed-and-breakfast at the Jersey Shore and working as the newest counsellor at Camp Manatee.

Bryan Lakewood is sick of nevers. You'll never walk. You'll never surf. You'll never sow dance with your date at prom. One miscalculated step and Bryan's life is changed forever--now he's paralyzed and needs to use a wheelchair. This is the first summer he's back at his former position at Camp Manatee and ready to reclaim some of his independence, in spite of those who question if he's up for the job. 

Cass is expecting two months dealing with heartbreak.
Bryan is expecting a summer of tough adjustments. 
Neither of them is expecting to fall in love. 


Thoughts 

When I heard that Robin Constantine was coming out with another book, I was so excited; I jumped at the chance to buy it. So, as you can tell from that statement, I read her two previous books and they were both amazing. There were so many elements to this book that I really enjoyed, and all of these elements are in her other books as well. The elements are: the romantic and character development with the two main characters, and the family dynamics. This book was a fluffy, light-hearted and quick read that I genuinely enjoyed. I recommend this book to all of you if you want something quick, light, and cutesy for the summer time.

The first thing I want to mention is the slow romantic development between the two main protagonists. I loved how the romance slowly progressed throughout the book, and it wasn't all "insta-lovey" but it grew as it continued. I love it when contemporaries have this because that's pretty much the realistic approach to relationships, and it grows with time as you get to know one another. So it's like you become friends first before you start dating and that's exactly what happened in this particular book. Lately I have read books where to me, the romance felt too fast. That's why I say that's it has been refreshing to read these kinds of book with relationship development.

 I also loved the character development between each of the characters as they grew with each individual chapter. Cassidy was going through a heartbreak after recently breaking up with her boyfriend. While Bryan was struggling with his accident that left him wheelchair bound the year before. So both characters have to go through a series of adjustments in order move on and have the best summer of their lives. For me, I didn't necessarily emotionally connect with Bryan, as I have never been in his situation and I don't know anyone who is going through the same thing. But he was the stronger character out of two protagonists. With Cassidy, she came across as trying to run away from her problems, but as the book progressed I believed that she was slowly moving on from her boyfriend (and falling for Bryan as a result). Also, I want to add that the minor characters in this book  were great as well and I really enjoyed them as friends and family.

Speaking of family, I want to address the family dynamics with Cassidy's and Bryan's families. I thought it was refreshing to see that the relationship with the two separate families being a positive one. This is true especially with Cassidy's family. They were all so kind to one another despite that her dad married someone else and she has a half-brother. I loved how Cassidy makes the effort to spend time with Hunter, and she is also treats Leslie well, plus Cassidy and her dad have a good relationship. With Bryan's family, my thoughts are the same. They were good to one another as they genuinely cared for Bryan and loved him for who he has become. To me, it's just refreshing to see a positive family dynamic as you don't really get to see that in some (or most) contemporaries.

So those are all of my thoughts on this book, I hoped you like it. I very much enjoyed this book as it was a entertaining, feel-good, lighthearted, fluffy, summer-romance. I recommend this book as a quick summer read that has pretty much everything I just mentioned.

Rating 

5/5

No comments: