Saturday, June 18, 2016

License to Spill by Lisi Harrison

Genre: young-adult, realistic fiction

Published: June 24th 2014

Pages: 256

Publisher: Poppy




Synopsis

Three girls, two guys, five secret journals. 

The five most popular students in Noble High have secrets to hide; secrets they wrote down in their journals. Now one of their own exposes the private entries. 

When our parents were growing up they were encouraged to make mistakes. That's how they learned. But us? Our mistakes go viral. There is no delete button on the internet. What kind of future do we have if we can't escape our embarrassing pasts? I must come off as quite the hypocrite; complaining about our overexposed lives in a book of secret journals I have leaked. But these pages hold proof of how this pressure holds the "best" of us...so until the heat's turned down keep reading. 

Thoughts

So my initial thoughts on this book are pretty much the same as the first book Pretenders. However, I will say that I enjoyed this book slightly better than the first. Reason being is because, the character development was more balanced, there was a lot more drama that went on, and there were some more funny and quirky elements that I loved. The one thing I didn't enjoy too much was the ending, I believe it did not give a proper closure to the series and it made me want to read more (except the series is over and there will be no more, so why end off on a cliffhanger?) The synopsis is very vague so based off that, it is best to go into this book not knowing a lot about it and discover it for yourselves. 

All five main characters were still the same as they were in the first book (immature, self-absorbed and naive). However, I do understand that they are freshmen and with that in mind I say that they still have a lot of learning and growing up to do. So I don't feel too bad for slightly disliking them. But I still have my least favourites and that would be Vanessa and Lily. Vanessa was your typical 'overachiever' and I can't say why because of spoilers but, she was the most naive out of all the main characters. Some of the things she did to achieve what she wanted just really pissed me off like when she falsely accused Lily for doing something ridiculous (again can't say what and why--spoilers). Speaking of Lily, she was another least favourite. To be honest, I didn't really like reading any of her entries (or Vanessa's for that matter), they just didn't intrigue me like the rest of them. 

The last thing I want to talk about is the ending. I was disappointed because it ended so abruptly with a cliffhanger. Since it is the end of a duology, I didn't think there needed to be a cliffhanger; instead it just made me want to read more of the series. I wish there was a third book, because I think there should be one in order to give the series the proper closure it really needs. 

So, those are all my thoughts on this book, I hope you guys like it. Even though this book has some flaws, it was still an entertaining read that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. This was a also a quick, and funny read I recommend. Until my next post, goodbye for now. 

Rate 

4/5

No comments: