Wednesday, June 1, 2016

How My Summer Went Up In Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance, travel (road trip)

Published: May 7th 2013

Pages: 302

Publisher: Simon Pulse


Synopsis (from book) 

Rosie's always been impulsive. She didn't mean to set her cheating ex-boyfriends car on fire. And she never thought her attempts could be considered stalking. So when she's served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she's heartbroken and furious. 
To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie's parents send her on a cross-country road trip with her responsible, reliable neighbour Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road--Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with passing mile. Because Rosie's spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new... 

Thoughts 

So like I said in my previous blog, I have mentioned that I may not do a book review on this book because I didn't have a ton of opinions to write about. But then I was thinking about how I haven't blogged at all last year, so I thought I would make it up to you guys and write as many reviews as I can (including this one) before I go back to school. Anyways, I also still have some thoughts that I would like to share with you, so let's begin. 

I have had this book on my shelf for quite awhile, so I thought that now would be a good time to read it. Plus I was very much in the mood for yet another summer read. Overall, it was a quick and entertaining read that kept me on my toes throughout the whole journey and it was definitely a fast-paced read for sure because I only read this in 4 days. Even though it deals with heavy subjects like restraining orders and other legal issues, it was still a lighthearted summer read that I was able to be entertained by. Despite all that, it was one of those books that I only liked but didn't love. I had high expectations for this book to be good yet, I still kind of had a feeling that I wasn't going to enjoy this book as much as I thought I would have. This is probably because I just read The Unexpected Everything before and that book was amazing, and honestly nothing could top that book! And so my expectations were set high for that reason alone. 

The first main thing I want to discuss is the main character Rosie. For me personally, she was an okay character to read about. I couldn't connect with her on an emotional level but there were some parts where I felt sorry for her. But with that being said, the character development with her was great. It seemed to me like she "grew out" out of her old impulsive ways and she became this whole new person towards the end of the book. I also loved that she was able to speak her mind and get her point across to get what she wanted. I thought that was a cool quality about her. I also appreciated that Matty was a good friend to Rosie, but there were times where she would be incredibly selfish towards him and she didn't really care about it (this does change when she finally admits it, so it's all good), but it still upset me. 

Speaking of Matty, I do want to talk about their friendship and how much I loved it! You could clearly tell that Matty deeply cared for Rosie but in a kind of like sister/brother way and not at all romantic. And Rosie felt the same way towards Matty as well. To me, it's definitely refreshing to see that boys and girls can in fact be friends without having them develop feelings for each other. At one point in the book, both Rosie and Matty do talk about the possibility of pursuing a relationship but they say that they don't want to risk what they already have, so they leave it at that (sorry to those of you who haven't read the book). Anyways, I very much enjoyed reading about their friendship, and it was one of the best parts of the book. 

The last thing I want to mention is the romance (or should I say the subtle romance) between Logan and Rosie. To be honest, I didn't really enjoy the romance. This is because the romance was so slowly developed that it lead me to believe that there was going to be no romance at all. And then it just happens out of nowhere (LIKE WHAT?!). It really caught me by surprise; but it also confused me at the same time. But it was nice how it wasn't all 'insta-lovey' and that they actually got to know one another before anything happened, so I guess that was the definite advantage to their romance. 

With all that being said, it was still a fun and entertaining read. For me, it was still a good road trip book even though it wasn't the best one I've ever read. If you want a lighthearted, road trip and self-discovery type of read than I would definitely recommend this book to you. 

Rate

3.5/5

No comments: