Monday, May 2, 2016

Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Genre: young adult, contemporary, romance, sports

Published: January 7th 2014

Pages: 352

Publisher: Delacorte


Synopsis (from book jacket)


Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure skater who choked during junior nationals and isn't sure she's ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she'd give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life. 


Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice-hockey player who's been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she's playing the worst she's ever played. If she messes up? Her whole life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she's the lucky one. But it didn't occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and and axels she might meet a hockey hottie--and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar(and very good looking) face from home. It's not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people your someone else might be more difficult than being yourself. 

Thoughts

Before I start on my actual thoughts on this book. I just wanted to address that I've been gone a while even though I said I was going to start blogging again. I know I have. It's just that school and other personal issues have gotten in the way of my blogging and since I am now off for four months from school, I have decided to blog my reviews, wrap ups etc.. as much as I can during these next months before I start again in September. Once September starts, I know for a fact that I will not be blogging as much. However, I will still making an effort to blog as often as I can during the school year. I would also like to address that I will not be doing a book review on every single book I read because most of the times, I don't really have a lot of opinions on these books. But I will be posting ones for sure if I am passionate about the book whether I love it or hate it, or if I have a lot to say about a particular book. So anyways, that is all on my rant about blogging in general. Now onto my actual review.

Being Sloane Jacobs was an overall entertaining, and light-hearted read which I absolutely enjoyed!  The plot was inspired from the movie The Parent Trap with Lindsey Lohan, and I love that movie so much; so I knew I was going to enjoy this novel the moment I picked it up. Both characters switch places for the summer to avoid their own family troubles and their both not sure whether or not they want to continue their own individual sports (figure skating and hockey). I personally loved how realistic the character's voices were and how the romance developed slowly with each of the Sloanes love interests. However, with the romances I found them to be slightly 'insta-lovey.' This book gave me so much feels from start to finish, and I enjoyed it way more than the author's first book Meant to Be (which I previously reviewed on my blog).

Both Sloane Jacob's had their own individual personalities that made me love them both equally. Throughout reading this book, I never had any problems with them as both of their different issues were truthful and they each dealt with them in a realistic manner. Sloane Emily had to deal with an issue that I could relate to personally as I had to go through this myself recently. (If you read the book already, you would know). Sloane Devon's character touches on a certain subject that affects many people in today's day as well.

Now touching onto the romance in this book, I loved each of the male characters Matt and Nando. But my main issue with their romances was that it felt to 'insta-lovey' (as previously mentioned).  This is solely because both Sloanes fell for them way to fast even though they barely knew anything about their own personal lives like family, other personal relationships etc... Even though this occurred, I still appreciated how the romances slowly developed.

 I know that running away from your problems is not ideal, but it definitely worked out in their favour because they met new friends, and had romances of their own (of course). But they also got to discover themselves in the process, which is probably my favourite part out of this whole book.  I very much enjoy coming of age stories, and seeing characters develop as their stories progress as they become better and stronger people.

Anyways with that being said, I enjoyed this book so much. It was a very fast-paced and easy book to read. I hope to read more of Lauren Morrill's work, and see what her other books have to offer. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a light-hearted, cute romance, with some elements of coming or age.

Rating 


5/5 

No comments: