Friday, June 19, 2015

Girl Online by Zoe Sugg and Siobhan Curham

Genre: young-adult, romance, contemporary, fiction, chick-lit

Published: November 25th 2014

Pages: 352

Publisher: Keywords Press (Atrita)



Synopsis
 
Penny has a secret
 
Under the alias Girl Online, Penny blogs her hidden feelings about friendship, boys, high school drama, her quirky family, and the panic attacks that have begun to take over her life. When things go from bad to worse at school, her parents accept the opportunity to whisk the family away for Christmas at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. There, Penny meets Noah, a gorgeous, guitar-strumming American. Suddenly she is falling in love-and capturing every moment she spends with "Brooklyn Boy" on her blog.
    But Noah has a secret, too, one that threatens to ruin Penny's cover-and her closet friendship-forever.
 
 
Thoughts
 
 
Now, before I actually get into the review, you guys may be wondering: why does it say Zoe Sugg and Siobhan Curham in your title, but not in the book title?! Well, this is because shortly after Girl Online was published, it was revealed on Twitter ( I don't know by who, maybe Zoe, but I'm not 100% sure. I heard it from secondary sources), that it was ghost written by another writer. I only found out that Siobhan, was the writer last night on Goodreads. I think it's good that they gave the ghost writer proper credit. I personally, don't like the fact that it was ghost written, because it just shows that Zoe isn't really good at writing, but she made a book deal anyway, which makes no sense in my opinion. Like if your not good at doing something, like writing, then don't do it at all (not even for money). Plus, I also heard they were making  a second book. LIKE WHY?! ONE BOOK WAS JUST FINE! It could have been a nice stand alone.
 
So, onto my actual thoughts about the book. The only thing I truly enjoyed was the book cover. Yup, that's right, the book cover. I really think that it is absolutely gorgeous, with the pictures and fairy-lights in the back ground. Seriously, one of the nicest covers I have ever seen in my whole life.  I really wanted to enjoy this book but, unfortunately, I didn't like it from beginning to end. And I will explain starting now.
 
Penny was way to immature, and childish for my liking. Like, I know she gets panic attacks and all, and she is able to control them for the most part. I understand that it sucks to have anxiety after something traumatizing happens to you. But that doesn't change her personality. To me, she said she was sixteen or fifteen, and yet she was acting like she was twelve.  It was completely  ridiculous! It sounded as if the writer was trying to write like a teenager, and it just did not work. Penny's vocabulary was way to kiddish (going back to what I said before), and she just didn't act her age. Honestly, that was my biggest issue with this book.
 
The romance between Penny and Noah, was way to cheesy, unrealistic, and cliche. It was way too much like a fairytale.  And that is not how love works; it is complicated, guys and girls are total assholes, and confusing. Half the guys in this world are not even romantic, and dates just don't go the way they do in this novel. Anyways, the romance was almost too perfect.
 
I found that the book just ended very quickly, and it could have gone on just a tad longer. Like, the issues just resolved with Elliot and Penny, and then Noah as if there was never any drama between them(which I know there was drama, of course), but I don't know, it felt like everything was sugarcoated.
 
So, that is pretty much it for my review. I hope you guys enjoyed. I understand that some of you guys may not agree with me, but we have our own thoughts and we have every right to express them. I do not encourage hate ever. Anyways, I don't 100% recommend this book. But if you still want to read it, then go ahead I'm not forcing you. So, until my next review. Bye guys. :)
 
 
Rate
 
 
2/5


No comments: