Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

Genre: mystery, young adult, contemporary, retellings, fiction

Published: March 1st 2016

Pages: 312

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books



Synopsis(book jacket)

The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that's not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detectives great-great-great granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock's genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar. 

From the moment they meet, there's a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear they names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe--and the only people they can trust are each other. 

Equal parts tender, thrilling, and hilarious, A Study in Charlotte is the first in a trilogy brimming with wit and edge-of-the-seat-suspense. 

Thoughts 

Since there are always modern re-tellings on fairy tales and other classic books, I always found myself wondering if there were ever going to be any re-tellings on Sherlock Holmes. Now personally, I was never a huge follower on the original series or T.V show (apparently there was a television series long ago) because it was not in my generation but more so my parents (they have more knowledge on this topic than I do). Despite that, I would like to get to know this classic tale. So, I thought I would give a story like this a chance.

Overall, I thought this book did an amazing job at re-telling a classic story. This is because the author was able to corporate all the original elements that made the classic what it is and turn it into a modern story of its own. There were some of the same aspects from the classic, and it was mixed in with some modern twists, and the right amount of all this was added and that's what made it so amazing. I loved everything about this book from the mysteries, to the characters, to the setting, and even the little bit of romance featured. 

There were many unexpected plot twists that I didn't see coming. The different twists just came out of nowhere, but they all correlated to what was going on, instead of random parts that makes no sense like some plot twists that I read. In this story, they were all unpredictable and unique. 

Now moving on to the characters, I loved them all equally (as I normally do with most books I read), and both Charlotte and Jamie had their own issues to overcome (specifically with Charlotte, read the book and you'll know). The one thing about the narrating was that, I wished there were dual perspectives between Jamie and Charlotte because I wanted to know more about Charlotte on what she thought about, and the certain feelings she had. I liked Jamie's narration, but he just seemed kind of naive sometimes, nonetheless I still loved him as a main character. The thing with Charlotte was that she was a very cynical character. Throughout the novel, I didn't really like her too much, but all the qualities she had are what made her interesting and it kept me reading. She is basically one of those characters that we all love to hate, like on T.V and movies. This was my only issue with the book, which is why I did not give it a full 5 stars. 

The last thing I do have plenty to say on is the romance. THIS WAS THE BEST PART OUT OF THE BOOK! I say this because, with most contemporaries the romance is right in your face, it's obvious to everyone who's reading it. But what was interesting about this, was that there were hints of it going around, but there was never any obvious sexual/romance chemistry. And this was definitely a breath of fresh air to read because this is not seen in most contemporaries, and I just felt like that is what stood out to me the most while reading this book. I personally think they make a cute couple. :) 

Well those are pretty much my thoughts on this book. I do hope you enjoy this review and I understand that you may have a different take on this book, but please don't hate me for having my own opinion. I genuinely recommend this novel if you are looking for any good modern re-tellings, with a hint a romance, and a suspenseful mystery. 

Rating 

4.5/5 

No comments: