Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Genre: young-adult, romance, contemporary, realistic-fiction

Published: June 14th 2012

Pages: 394

Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers




                                Synopsis

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And everyday from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them...until one summer night Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.
  
As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha-even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?


                                                                        Thoughts

My main thoughts on this book are going to be very straight-forward and to the point. But before I continue and move on with this review, I must say that I have been waiting and wanting to read this book since it first came out. But I never gotten the opportunity until I thought "Enough is enough, I have waited to long!" and I picked it right off the shelf of the library.  Now back onto my main thoughts:

1. I am going to get this out of the way now, and just say I had one main issue with this book. And that issue is, the fact that everything that happened seemed to be easily resolved with no severe arguments, or major conflict within those fights. Even though efforts were made to do the right thing, I still felt as if the 'right thing' wasn't the right thing after all.

2. I thought that the book was very realistic, and believable on so many levels. From the romance between Samantha and Jase, both families, and the friendships that went along with it.

3.The characters were great and not-so-great, but all in their own way. Samantha's mother, I strongly despised. I thought she was rude, selfish, and not strong enough to be able to stand up for what she truly believed in. She is not a woman that I would respect. Honestly, she was just downright ridiculous over everything. Clay, was a total asshole, and was very manipulative towards every single person he talked to. Samantha, was just a reasonable, character that I could easily relate too. Plus, all of the other characters were so easy to love like Jase, George, all of the other kids, Mr. and Mrs Garrett, including Tim, and Nan.   

4. The fact that this book, was a very fluffy and light read, it also had its dark moments were things were not looking too good for both families. But those dark moments were so realistic were it got to point were it literally felt real to me in my own life. I know that it may not make sense to you, but it does to me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and I strongly recommend it. It was a very lighthearted, fluffy, romantic summer read, with its deeper moments.


                                                            Rating


                                                                 4/5

No comments: