Monday, February 13, 2017

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Genre: young-adult, fantasy, adventure, romance, fiction 

Published: September 29th 2015 

Pages: 465 

Publisher: Henry Holt and Company 



Synopsis 

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...
A convict with a thirst for revenge
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager
A runaway with a privileged past
                                           A spy known as the Wraith
                                                   A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums
                                                           A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes
 
Kaz's crew are the only ones who might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first. (source

Thoughts 

I have been extremely hesitant to read this book solely because of the fact that it's not normally a genre I pick up. But there had been so much hype surrounding this book when it first came out and it still continued well into 2016. Since one of my reading goals for 2017 is to read more fantasy, I thought I would give this novel a read. So here I am writing this review. 

*This book does take place in the Grisha universe (the Grisha trilogy), but Six of Crows features completely different characters so you can read Six of Crows first or the Grisha trilogy first if you wanted to.*

I have heard amazing things about this book and I'm so glad I read it. This was my first time reading a book by this author and I really enjoyed it. I loved her writing style, the characters, and the world building within this book and I definitely plan on reading more from Leigh Bardugo in the future (starting off with Crooked Kingdom). 

First off, can we talk about the characters for a minute?! All the characters were so diverse and unique and they are legit SQUAD GOALS! They were so well developed and I felt like I knew them on a deeper level. I had such a connection with each character it felt like they were all my friends. I loved getting to know them all as the book progressed, but I wished I got a chapter from Wylan. I wanted to get to know Wylan a lot more than I did as I only got little clips of his past through the other characters. There better be more chapters of Wylan in Crooked Kingdom. 
As for my favourite character, I would have to say Inej takes the cake. I loved how she persevered even when situations got tough. I enjoyed her overall personality and how she was never afraid of a fight. Her character teaches the reader that you should never give up and always keep trying no matter how hard things can get. 
All the other characters were so amazing and they are all different (yet they somehow got along and did not kill each other). 

Secondly, the world building was incredible! Even though it was a fantasy world, it still felt very realistic for me. It felt like I was living in it. To me, Ketterdam is like New York City and Los Angeles combined. Ketterdam is (generally) a place where people go to achieve their dreams and live better lives. (New York and LA are those types of places in the real world). I love Ketterdam and I want get to know more of it, and I think I will get the opportunity to in the second book. 

And lastly, lets talk about the romances. I loved all the couples in this book. Kaz and Inej are like the best couple ever (their not officially together, but Kaz realizes he wants to be with Inej, which I think is absolutely adorable considering Kaz's cold nature). Nina and Matthieus are a great couple as well, which starts off as a love-hate relationship, but it slowly develops into a romance. Jesper and Wylan have something going on, but it's not totally obvious as to whats actually going on but at the same time, we get an idea as to whats happening. Which I totally think is awesome. I also loved how they all don't become couples right away and theres so much angst for every single couple to get together. I'm normally not the biggest fan of angst in romance books (or any kind of book in general), but it definitely works for this story. It just gets me more excited to read the next one and find out what happens next. 

I also loved the combination of the serious and funny moments throughout this book and those moments made it more entertaining to read. I kinda laughed aloud at some parts and I rarely laugh out loud while reading a book. 😊

Overall, this was such an amazing book and I highly recommend you read it if you haven't done so already. Like seriously, go read it. Please go read it. 

Rate 

5/5

No comments: