Tuesday, November 1, 2016

October Wrap Up

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson and this is my October wrap up. In terms of reading, this was a pretty good reading month for me. I really enjoyed a lot of the books I read, but only one was mostly a disappointment. I read a total of six books this month, which is great. Hopefully I'll read a little more next month, but I don't know we'll see. Let's get into this months wrap up. 

The first book I read was Messenger by Lois Lowry. This is the third book in the Givers quartet. I read Gathering Blue in September, but I was really disappointed with the book and I thought this one would be better. As it turns out, it was a lot better than I thought. I enjoyed this one a lot more than the previous one, but I still wouldn't say this book was better than The Giver. This book would have to be my second favourite out of the quartet (The Giver being my most fave). I enjoyed reading more about Matty's life and the world building was great. I also like how it was a short book, so I flew threw this one pretty quickly. I have a full review on this blog if you want read more about my thoughts. I rated this a 3/5 stars. 


The second book I read was American Born Chinese by Gene Leun Yang. This is a graphic novel that I had to read for one of my classes. I had heard awesome things about this book, but I never would have picked it up on my own. I'm so glad I read it because I really enjoyed this one. It's about fitting in and figuring out your identity (coming of age). And there is a lot of religious meaning behind this book (which is probably why my prof thought it would be a good idea to read this). Since it's a graphic novel, and it's pretty short I flew threw this book as well. I highly recommend it. And I'm also interested in reading some of his other books as well. I rated this a 4/5 stars.  


The third book I read this month was As I Descended by Robin Talley. This is a modern LGBT+ retelling of the Shakespearean play Macbeth. I absolutely loved this book, and it is one of my favourite books this year so far. I thought the author did a good job with incorporating the play with some modern twists, making the story her own. I have a full review of this book on my blog if you want to read more of my thoughts. I rated this book a 5/5 stars. 





The fourth book I read was Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. This was my most anticipated release for this year, and I was so excited to finally getting my hands on it. I have read other books by this author and they were so amazing. I loved the premise of the story and I thought this would be the perfect book to read in the fall. I really enjoyed this book, but my only issue was the pacing. The pacing for the first 100 pages or so were very slow. But I think it was really slow because it was introducing me to the characters and the world. Once I got past 100 pages, the book just flew by quickly, and it is worth the read. I can't wait to read the second book. If you want to hear more of my thoughts, then I have a full review on this blog. I rated this a 4.5/5 stars. 

The fifth book I read was Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten. I thought this book was the perfect fall read as it is a mystery/thriller type of story. However, I didn't really enjoy the book and I was disappointed with how it was executed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first half of the book where June (protagonist) was asking question about her best friends death and finding out the truth. But once the huge plot twist was revealed, I didn't love it as much. I thought it was unnecessary for the book. If it was just the first half all the way through, then I would of like the story as a whole. I have a full review if you to know more of my thoughts. I rated this a 3/5 stars. 

The last book I read in the month of October was Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray. This is the second book to the Firebird trilogy. This was one of my favourite reads this month and it was so perfect. For me, this was definitely better than the first book. There was more romance, drama and it was action-packed. And I also got to see a different side to all the characters, especially Theo. I will have a review up soon discussing more of my thoughts in detail. I'm very excited to read the last book in November. I rated this a 5/5 stars. 




That is it for my monthly wrap up, I hope you all enjoyed reading it. Let me know what books you read this month in the comments below. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now.  

No comments: