Thursday, August 25, 2016

Tips and Tricks on How to Get Out of a Reading Slump

Hello everyone it's Nicole Henderson here and I am here to give you guys some tips and tricks on how to get out of a reading slump. I have been in a reading slump for almost a whole month and I have just started to read again. I believe that these tips and tricks will help me and you to get out of future reading slumps. So without any further introductions, let's get into it.

Tips and Tricks: 

1. Don't force yourself to read! The biggest mistake in a reading slump is that, people will keep reading and reading until they find the book that clicks. And as a result they will force themselves to read. Instead, do something else with your time like binge watch a Netflix show (Supernatural, Full House and 90210 are really good shows), or spend time with family/friends. This will get you away from the reading world and it will give you time to focus on other things. Eventually, you will want to read again and hopefully get out of the slump.

2. Read light books! I would highly recommend that you guys read easy, fluffy, contemporary books.  And don't read anything over 500 pages with an intense plot. Which means: NO FANTASY BOOKS! By reading lighthearted books, it will make your reading experience more enjoyable and it will get you back in the reading mood.

3. Read what you know! If reading light books or not forcing yourself to read doesn't work, then I would suggest re-reading books you know and love. For me, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins is a contemporary classic, or even any Rainbow Rowell book will do the trick for me. Reading from one of your favourite authors is another option to get you out of the devastating reading slump.

4. Try new things and get excited! It's always important to get out of your comfort zone and try new things. But the same thing goes for reading. One reason you maybe in your reading slump is because you keep reading the same genres over and over again. Instead, try to stray away from your TBR and go to your local book-store or library and find a new book that you genuinely want to read. This may make you feel motivated to read again. And the same thing happened to me in my reading slump. Just going to my small local bookstore and looking at all the books made me feel inspired to read.

5. Get online! If none of my previous tips worked, then the internet is the best choice for you. And I don't mean binge watch a show on Netflix (unless you want to). But instead, watch your favourite booktubers to hear them rant about about their favourite book or their love for reading in general. I find that this works for me a lot. Besides Youtube, interact with different bookstagram accounts by commenting and liking their photos. I feel that this will further motivate you to read.

Reading Slump Recommendations:

This next section here are books that I recommend if you are ever in a reading slump and you're desperate to escape it. First off, I would highly suggest that you read anything contemporary but more specially anything easy-reading, and lighthearted. For example:

1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. But her other two books Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Every After are good to.

2. Any Morgan Matson book. But more specially her books Since You've Been Gone and The Unexpected Everything will get you out for sure.

3. Anything by Huntley Fitzpatrick: My Life Next Door, What I Thought Was True and The Boy Most Likely To are all amazing books.

4. All of Rainbow Rowell books will definitely save you from the tragic reading slump. The books are: Eleanor and Park, Fangirl, Carry On. Her adult books include: Attachments, and Landline.
                           
                           --------                            ----------                           -----------

So that is it for this blog I hope you all enjoyed it. I also hope that these tips and tricks helped you get out of the awful reading slump you might be in. Happy reading and until my next post, goodbye for now.

No comments: