Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance

Published: March 1st 2016 (first published March 31st 2015)

Pages: 416

Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's



Synopsis (from book)

It's been a year since it happened...

When Paige Hancock's first boyfriend died in a swimming accident, she shut out almost everyone. Now Paige has decided it's finally time to rejoin the world, and she has a plan. First on the list: Go out with Ryan Chase, her long time and newly single crush. And last on the list: swim. Terrifying, yet possible? 

But when Ryan's sweet, nerdy cousin Max moves to town and recruits Paige for the QuizBowl team (of all things!), her prefect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Starting over isn't easy, but Paige knows the scariest things are usually the most difficult. Can she face her fears and open herself up to live life and love again? 

Thoughts 

Going into this book, I was very excited to devour it and I had high expectations that I was really going to enjoy it. Well, this book did not disappoint me at all. In fact, I loved this book more than her first one Open Road Summer. Her writing style was easy (for me) to read, but it was also very poetic. And I will say that this is another one of my favourite books this year. I thought that Emery Lord wrote about grief in a realistic way and she did a great job with keeping the characters as believable as possible. The romantic development between Paige and Max was reasonable for the story and I personally think they are so cute. Anyways, I highly recommend this book, if you want an emotional story that has some lighthearted parts added, with a bit of an adorable romance. 

I thought that I could relate to Paige on an emotional level and the fact that we both have the same interests just made me love Paige even more. We both love reading (obviously), and we both want to get into screenwriting for TV and movies. Plus, when I go into a bookstore, I pick up a book to read the first chapter to see if its worth reading. And Paige does the same thing too! For a moment while reading this book, I thought I was Paige. But then I realized that this girl is a fictional character and that I am not anyone else besides myself. I really wish Paige would come to life and be my friend already. 

Max is just another adorable character who was so kind and definitely nerdy. I thought he was a fantastic love interest for Paige just because they have so much in common and they had amazing chemistry. Speaking of their chemistry, their romance was slowly developed but it was understandable for the circumstances in the story. And I loved their romance, there just so cute together. 

Overall, I highly enjoyed this book and I will go as far as saying that this is one of my favourite books of the year. I loved everything about this book and I strongly recommend you read this book especially in the summer months. 

Rate 

5/5 

No comments: