Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Watch Me by Lauren Barnholdt

Genre: young-adult, contemporary, romance, academic (college), new-adult)

Published: July 6th 2010 (previously published June 20th 2006 as Reality Chick)

Pages: 304

Publisher: Simon Pulse



Synopsis (from book)

She thinks she has nothing to hide...

Ally has everything under control. She's about to move into a house full of strangers and have her life broadcasted to the world, but as long as she still has her long-distance boyfriend, Corey, nothing can go wrong. Nothing, that is, until Ally starts spending time with her housemate Drew, the hot and sensitive guy who always seems to be around when she needs someone the most. 
     As suspicions and lies start pulling Ally and Corey apart, she's not sure if she can trust anyone--not even herself. Ally is about to learn the hard way that life is what happens when everyone is looking, and it doesn't always capture her good side.  

Thoughts 

This book was a very quick and entertaining read that I liked but didn't love. I have read books by Lauren Barnholdt before, and for me I have a hit and miss relationship with them. So as a result, I have loved some of her books (like a lot), but there are others where they are very flawed and I just don't enjoy them as much. The number one thing I didn't like about this book was the main character. She was just annoying and naive, and it made me enjoy the book less. The concept about reality TV was interesting, plus the other supporting characters were decent and that's what kept me reading (honestly). Overall, it was just an okay read for me, it wasn't the best book by her but I would still recommend it if you want something light and quick to read. 

My number one problem with this book was the main character, Ally. I didn't like her at all. I found her to be extremely annoying, over-the-top dramatic, and clueless. Now that I think about it, I find that all of Lauren's characters tend to be like this, and I wish that they weren't all the same. But instead there be a variation within all of them. Anyways with this book in particular, I thought Ally was very naive about certain situations. Multiple times throughout the book, I thought "Ally, OMG how did you not know that!?" It was ridiculous thinking how many times I thought that exact sentence. *sighs* *shakes head*  But despite my dislike towards the character, I personally thought the tone and style of how Ally was portrayed to be mostly realistic for the demographic (which in this case is teenagers). I say this because, I sometimes find myself acting this way (like Ally) and in the end I learn from it, similar to Ally in the book, and the same goes for other teenagers. 

My other issue with this book is the ending. It is not that big of an problem in Watch Me, but in her other books they just end. There are never proper resolutions and so with that, it just leaves me very confused and not satisfied like an ending is supposed to do. 

I don't have other main thoughts on this book, so that is it for this review. I know this review was more so disliking the book than loving it, but sometimes my reviews are going to be like that. There not always going to be the most positive reviews but it's important for me to share my thoughts on books. Anyways, one thing good I will say about this book, is that I like the writing style. I enjoy Lauren's books mostly because of the style of writing. The style is always quick and easy to read. But it is also realistic that teens can relate to. This is why my rating is slightly higher than it normally would be if I didn't enjoy a book as much. So that is it, and until my next post goodbye for now. 

Rate 

3/5

No comments: