Sunday, July 6, 2014

My Journey with Josie by Salvina Grice

Genre: memoir, non-fiction, realistic non-fiction, autobiography

Published: December 10th 2013

Pages: 256

Published: FriesenPress



                             Synopsis

My Journey with Josie is the author's personal story of her sister in the prime of her life, facing her diagnosis of terminal cancer. Preparing to leave three young children and a close knit family behind, this is an honest account of the deep rooted pain of losing a loved one. From struggles and tears comes hope that healing is possible.


                                                                             Thoughts

I'm going to have a hard time collecting my thoughts, on how this book was I know I am. But the first thing that comes to my mind, is the fact that I constantly procrastinated on picking this up. Like I don't know why I didn't get around to reading it right away, but that's what happened. I don't know what it was, but I guess I was scared to read about the cancer aspect of it all. I know that cancer runs in my family. But I'm afraid now that I am going to get it someday too.  That is what I tell myself, all the time, but now I'm realizing that there was another reason, a much deeper reason. Some things just can't be explained (Chapter 40 title).

I knew that before reading the book, that it was going to be very raw, and emotional. But what I didn't know was how raw and emotional this memoir really was. However, I did manage to finish this without crying or having a melt down (Chapter 38 title). 

Cancer is a very sensitive topic for many people, and it is very hard to deal with, in all cases pretty much. But it is something that leads to death in the end, for most families. I'm saying most families because, there are people who do get cancer and they survive. But in this case, that did not happen to Josie. She ends up suffering from this 'disease' for almost a year. She was diagnosed in 1994, and passed on in 1995(on May 14th to be specific). I just want cancer to go away, because I don't want people to suffer, it's not in my nature to enjoy suffering onto others. I just wish that there was a cure for it so that nobody has to deal with it or suffer from the awful disease that kills people everyday.

This story is told entirely in the author's perspective, through either her personal thoughts or her journals. But it also entailed Josie's journal entries, and a little bit of Tina's entries. It was very interesting to read some of Salvina's thoughts and to read her perspective on what was going on throughout her life of losing her mother, and then losing Josie, as well as her brother Sam and her father. But there were some parts were I just felt like I knew way too much for my own good. I also felt that I was sort of invading the authors personal and private thoughts, but that is how raw this book actually is.

So, I thought that this book was very heartbreaking, sad, and emotional. But there are so many other emotions that I can mention, but those are my main feelings about this memoir. I recommend this book, to people who want a family oriented read, with raw and powerful parts, with a little bit of heart break, sadness, and happiness at the same time. Basically, if you want to feel all the feels in one book, then you should read this one.

*I know that it is extremely difficult to say those final goodbyes ( Chapter 31 title) to our family members, who are dying. But after that happens, yes it is going to be hard to live without them, but it is something that has to be done. We have to move on with our lives, but that is what the author has a really hard time coping with. But I just want to say to all the families who have a member who has cancer, or has died from it, that everything will be alright, yes it is a sad time in your life, but you will get through it. Without going through the rough patches in life, you won't get to the good patches. There will always be good times and bad times, but in the end, it will all work out for the better. And that is the main message of this memoir.*

                                                                             Rating
 
                                                      4/5

No comments: