Sunday, November 3, 2013

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Genre(s): young-adult, mystery, thriller, horror

Published: April 2nd 2013(paperback)

Pages: 384

Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers

                                                                       

            Synopsis(from book)

It was a beautiful day.
It was a beautiful field.
                                                  Except for the body.

Jazz is the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, "Take Your Son To Work Day" was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops only wish they could-from the criminal's point of view. Now with bodies piling up in the sleepy town of Lobo's Nod, Jazz must work with the police to prove that murder doesn't run in the family.

                                                                                

                                                              Thoughts

Since the month of October, is the month for all things scary, and mysterious, I was in the mood for reading a dark-heavy(content) book. I first heared of this book, when I was looking up different books online in one of my classes at school(clearly I was bored). I showed my friend, who happened to be sitting next to me at the time, she thought it was quite interesting. Now going forward a few months later, I saw it and the rest is history.

At first I was a little uncomfortable reading this, but once the book progressed onward, I felt a lot more urgent, and confident. I loved how there was more mystery, then horror and gory, because I didn't want to be scared to death reading this, but I still wanted my heart to race from the suspense. And there was lots of suspense to look forward to!

Jasper "Jazz" Dent, was legitimately a bad-ass character who I liked. He wasn't too cocky, or anything like that. He was very rebellious, which I can completely understand why he was. He was very smart, he knew what he was doing, even though the police didn't believe him in the beginning. He was a perfect character, with a very dysfunctional life. His father killed many people, his grandma(who he was living with) had lots of mental problems. I felt so sorry for him, I just wanted to jump into the book(literally), and hug him. He had multiple problems himself though, but the major problem was, was that he had a voice in head, like taking control of his thoughts, and stuff like that, which made it a little scary for me. But I liked how he had a (sort of) father figure, who was G. William Tanner, the sheriff. Although Billy was his father, he wasn't a loving and supportive parent. G. William was the loving supportive father figure for Jazz, which I thought was really nice.

Connie, and Howie were okay characters. They were the first characters(ever pretty much), that I didn't like a whole lot. However, I will say I liked Howie a little better then Connie.
 Howie, was Jazz's best friend with a severe condition that whenever he gets hit, like a poke, he will bruise and bleed. The bruising and bleeding happened multiple times in this book. Anyways, Howie was always there for Jazz, which made it seem like Howie was Jazz's only friend. Even though Howie wasn't sure about Jazz's decisions, he always stuck by him. He was really funny, and sort off like a dramatic reliever for me.
 Connie, on the other hand, was Jazz's girlfriend of a different race(African-American). I did not like her at all. I know that girls get very emotional, and a time of death, and just about anything sad in general. Girls cry; that's how they express themselves and I totally get that, I cry sometimes too. But Connie, was crying ALL THE TIME! Just about every other page the she was in: crying. Like bitch please hold yourself together! Aside from all that, I appreciated her for being the race that she was. You don't see a lot of black girls in books too often, so it was a definite refresher and unique to see  that. And it was also nice how Jazz had a girlfriend, who can accept him for who he was.

Overall, this book was amazing! Loved the mystery, suspense, and just everything about it. Nothing was a disappointment(aside from Connie). This book was a very different book for me to read. I was completely out of my comfort zone, and that was a good thing. I needed to get out of it, and it made me realize that I do need to read different genres, besides the ones I do enjoy reading. I recommend this book 100%.
                                                                                                                   
 
                                                                 Rating



                                                                     5/5

No comments: