Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Genre: children's, young-adult, science-fiction, dystopian

Published: (first published April 26th 1993) July 1st 2014

Pages: 225

Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers


Synopsis 

 The haunting story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community. (source)

Thoughts 

When I first tried to read this book during my freshman year in high school, I put it down because I thought it was boring and dull. Now that I've read it for school (in university), I have gained more of an appreciation for this book that I lacked before. If you're in your early teens or younger, I highly suggest you do not read this until you are slightly older. I say this because you will appreciate the themes that are discussed in this book a little more than you would if you're 12 or 13. I surprisingly enjoyed this book, more than I thought I would. I enjoyed the world building, and some of the "rules" that go on in this book world were very intriguing. Anyways, if you guys haven't read this then I highly recommend that you read it. 

The number one thing I enjoyed about this book was the world building. I thought it was so different from anything I've read, and at the time it was published (originally) it was considered to be unique. I say this because now there are all these other dystopian books that all sound the same (to me). Anyways, it was great to see it develop and evolve as the story went on, and I really got to see how amazing this world truly is. 

I liked Jonas as character and I really enjoyed watching him grow up throughout the book. And you really get to see what a difference a year makes. At the start of the book, Jonas is just an eleven year old having fun with friends and living by rules. But towards the end, you really get to see how much being a Receiver of Memory has really affected him as a person.   Another quality I enjoyed, was seeing the relationship between Jonas and the Giver evolve into a wonderful friendship. 

Those are all my thoughts on this book, I hope you all enjoyed. I also hope I didn't spoil this book for you guys. Anyways, if you have read it then let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Happy reading and until my next post goodbye for now. 

Rate 
4/5

No comments: