Saturday, August 3, 2013

Book Review: Thou Shalt Not Road Trip by Antony John

Thou Shalt Not Road Trip

Genre: young adult, religious, coming-of-age, romance

Publication: April, 12th 2012

Pages: 329

Publisher: Dial


                                                                                                        

                   Synopsis(from flap)

Luke's publisher sends him on a summer cross-country tour with his unpredictable older brother, Matt, as chauffeur. Without Luke's knowing, Matt offers to drive Luke's ex-crush, Fran, across the country too, and things get a little crazy. Luke thinks he's enlightened, but he actually needs to loosen up if he's going to discover what it truly means to have faith, and do what it takes to get the girl he loves.

                                                                                                                                                                

                                                                  Thoughts

I wanted to be able to read a road trip book this summer, since I have already read all of the road trip books I own. I already have heared of this book on Goodreads, and thought it had a really good synopsis(which you can read above). But, I was wrong for the following reasons.

Luke Dorsey ends up becoming a best-seller, after he wrote a spiritual, self-help book. He wrote and published it in TWO WEEKS! Like what-two weeks?! That actually impossible! You can't write a book, and publish it in two weeks. You just can't, that's insane! So, I was a little shocked by that, to be honest with you.

The main characters, I had a major problem with them all. It was that they all very selfish,and terrible, hypocirtical people. Fran, didn't give a sh*t about anything, and didn't realize(until now) how much her changes affected people.  Matt, everything he did ended up being his fault and causing problems for his brother, all because he wanted to impress his girlfriend Alex(who also came with them), who is already "on the rocks" with. Luke, I don't know, in ways he was selfish, but he was more of a "baby" then actually selfish. Alex, was just a bitch, and well selfish, for many many reasons i can't possibly explain in one review.

I want to talk a little bit more about Luke, who is the main protagonist, in this book. He is the author of the best-selling spiritual self-help book. He was one of the nice guys, naive. There are more characteristics that i can use to describe him, but i said them all already.  But what I will say,is that he was such a baby! A child this kid was, my god! He cried about everything, constantly complained all the time, it was crazy. He was always saying "I'm sorry." LIKE NO, YOUR NOT! I was a little disappointed in Luke, I thought he was going to be a better character then he was portrayed as.

They say that the book was supposed to be religious, unfortunately, it lacked religion. Like it lacked everything about religion. I thought it was going to be a more religious book, then a romance book(which it was). I was just very bummed about it. I don't think I can say anything more about the topic.

 I thought the book was going to be better, then it was. It really had good potential, to be a really good book. I did not enjoy Thou Shalt Not Road Trip.

                                                                                                                                                                    
                      
                                                               Overall Rating

                                                        2/5

                                                                                                                    

                                                                   Last Words   

This was not the best book, i have ever read. I think this book had really good potential to be a better book, then what it came out to. Antony could have done more to this book to make it better. However, he also wrote another book, so i will most likely give that a book a chance too. Like i said before, i didn't enjoy this book. I recommend this book, for people who want a good road trip book, with a religious twist. That concludes my review, until the next one, goodbye everyone!                                                     



No comments: